Pages

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Gotcha! VMware VIEW 4.5 Transfer Server’s SCSI controller requirements – LSI Logic Parallel

I can’t believe I missed an important requirement for VMware VIEW 4.5’s Transfer Server:

An LSI SAS adapter has been detected on this system, This adapter is not supported by the Transfer Server. Please select a different computer.

image

image

The server I deployed from template was:

Operating System: Windows Server 2008 R2

Version: 64-bit

Edition: Standard

SCSI Controller: LSI Logic SAS (default for Windows Server 2008 R2)

…when the installation guide clearly states:

CAUTION You must configure the virtual machine that hosts View Transfer Server with an LSI Logic Parallel
SCSI controller. You cannot use a SAS or VMware paravirtual controller.
On Windows Server 2008 virtual machines, the LSI Logic SAS controller is selected by default. You must change
this selection to a BusLogic or LSI Logic controller before you install the operating system.

So while I sort of knew I was going to get a blue screen if I were to change the SCSI Controller within the virtual machine’s properties, I gave it a shot anyways:

image

image

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you’ve seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated.

Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xFFFFF880009A9928,0xFFFFFFFFC0000034,0000000000000000,0x00000000000000000)

image

No surprise here. If only Windows Server 2008 R2 had a repair install (they took it away when R1 was released).

Time to reinstall with a LSI Logic Parallel SCSI Controller.

Update:

I’ve been asked about whether there’s a workaround and I believe there probably is a way to change the controller without reinstalling so I’ll update this as soon as I have some time to figure it out.

Update:

Here’s a new blog post I’ve written to show how to change from a LSI SAS to a LSI Logic Parallel controller without reinstalling the operating system on virtual machine:

Changing a virtual machine’s boot hard disk to a different SCSI controller

http://terenceluk.blogspot.com/2010/12/changing-virtual-machines-boot-hard.html

4 comments:

Barry said...

Hey Terence,

Based on your work for us, I was starting to believe you were omnipotent. Nice to know your are human!

Terence Luk said...

Yup, luckily, this is a customer demo environment and because I only have 2 days to work on this, I had to plow through the deployment as fast as possible.

Anonymous said...

To change the adapter type from sas to parallel, just add another disk with parallel adapter, correct boot order in VM-Bios, boot once, shut down, remove additional disk and change adapter type of first hba to parallel, boot, reboot because plug&pray demands it, done!

no need to install from scratch

Terence Luk said...

Thanks. I've been meaning to figure out a way around it so I'll give that a shot when I get the chance.