Pages

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Problems adding an ESX/ESXi host to vCenter with error message: Call "Datacenter.QueryConnectionInfo" for object "someName" on vCenter Server "somevCenter.someDomain.com" failed.

I ran into a problem while deploying a new vSphere environment for VIEW 4.5 today and thought I’d share my findings. The error message I received while adding a ESXi host to vCenter was:

Call "Datacenter.QueryConnectionInfo" for object "someName" on vCenter Server "somevCenter.someDomain.com" failed.

image

So after troubleshooting the issue, I found that there could be either of these causes:

  • You’re not referring to the host with the FQDN.
  • You’re referring to the host with just the name but you do not have the DNS suffix specified on your vCenter’s Windows operating system NIC settings.
  • You entered the wrong username or password for the ESX server.

There are probably more causes but these were the 3 I came across. My problem was a bit more complicated and it was because the IP I used for the ESXi host was already being used by another host and thus my vCenter was trying to add another ESXi server that had a different root password.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'd had been encountered the same issue few days ago, but still no luck on it. Could you please elaborate more on it, sleepless nights because of this. Thank you.

Terence Luk said...

Hi,

Are you having this problem with multiple hosts? I would definitely check the obvious to make sure you can resolve the host via name and IP. Try remote desktop-ing directly to vCenter and ping/nslookup the host to see if you can resolve it properly.

Tracy V said...

Hi,

Tried all 3 of those and nothing fixes it.

Any more suggestions?

Thanks!